Just like facial recognition and voice identification, human fingerprints are biometric identifiers, physical characteristics considered to be unique to each individual.
Because human fingerprints are so detailed, almost always unique, difficult to alter, and consistent over the life of an individual, they are recognised as one of the very best long-term markers of human identity.
Why does SafeShare use visual fingerprinting?
Visual fingerprints are the digital equivalent of a human fingerprint, because they are unique to every collaborator who has access to a sensitive document, whereas traditional watermarks have an identifier which remains static when the document is shared. With traditional watermarks it’s hard to accurately identify the source if a document is leaked.
Because SafeShare uses visual fingerprinting it gives them the unique ability to apply a visual fingerprint or watermark for each individual collaborator who will have access to a sensitive document.
SafeShare’s Content Viewer protects and facilitates this visual fingerprint, discouraging collaborators from screen grabbing or taking a photo of content. And it also allows the administrator to accurately identify the source of the original leaked document.
How does SafeShare’s Content Viewer work?
- SafeShare’s fingerprinting ability is dynamically created by the administrator of the document using the Content Viewer.
- Once enabled, the Content Viewer generates a unique detailed identity profile for every single collaborator who will be receiving the sensitive document
- This visual fingerprint is displayed on each collaborators screen, takes the form of a large semi-transparent text that consists of the following data:
- Email address of the currently signed-in collaborator viewing the file
- SafeShare Platform URL
- ID of the file/Secure Object
- The classification applied to the file by its owner (if applicable)
- Date/time when the file was viewed
- Because the collaborator is unable to remove or alter this semi-transparent text it discourages collaborators from screen grabbing or taking a photo of content and provides a real time and permanentdigital history of file viewing.
Example of visual fingerprinting with dynamic user data:
What file formats does the SafeShare content viewer support?
|File-type category||Supported file formats (file name extensions)|
|Image files||bmp, gif, jpeg, jpg, png|
|Word processing/text documents||doc, docx, html, mhtml, odt, ooxm, rtf, xhtml|
|Documents with static content|
|Presentation files||odp, pot, pyx, pps, ppsx, ppt, pptx|
|Spreadsheet/data files||csv, ods, xls, xlsb, xlsm, xlsx, xltm, xltx, xlxm|
Want to experience the security of a visual fingerprint yourself?
You too can experience the security of a visual fingerprint by taking up theno-obligations 30-day SafeShare trial.
Contact us to find out more.